Nathan MacKinnon had two goals and two assists, Nazem Kadri added two goals of his own and Philipp Grubauer stopped all but one shot as the Avs ousted the Coyotes with a resounding 7-1 win Wednesday in Edmonton.
Colorado won Games 4 and 5 of the first-round series by identical 7-1 scores, contests that were much different than the tight opening three games.
Next up for the Avs is a matchup with either Dallas, St. Louis or Vancouver in the Western Conference semifinals. If Dallas wins its series with Calgary, the Stars will be the opponent. If the Flames win then Colorado will face the winner of the Blues-Canucks series.
Dallas currently leads Calgary 3-2, while St. Louis and Vancouver are tied 2-2.
As for Wednesday’s game, it marked the first time in team history Colorado has scored seven goals or more in back-to-back playoff games and the 22 total goals is the most for the Avs in a five-game playoff series.
“Our time has arrived. We haven’t won anything but it’s definitely a different feel after winning this series. We’re a hungry group.”MacKinnon said after his team’s 7-1 win.
- TheDNVR.com’s AJ Haefele handed out grades for the Avs for the the entire series against Arizona.
- TheAthletic.com’s Ryan S. Clark wrote about how the Avs know they’re a Stanley Cup contender, but they also know they still have to prove it.
|Game 1||Colorado 3, Arizona 0||Box score|
|Game 2||Colorado 3, Arizona 2||Box score|
|Game 3||Arizona 4, Colorado 2||Box score|
|Game 4||Colorado 7, Arizona 1||Box score|
|Game 5||Colorado 7, Arizona 1||Box score|
Utah blitzed Denver from deep Wednesday, to the tune of 20 made threes, as the Jazz waltzed past the Nuggets 124-105 and evened the best-of-seven series at 1-1.
Not only did the Jazz make a ton of threes in the game, they did so at an alarming rate of 45%, which unfortunately is the same percentage the Nuggets gave up during the eight seeding games.
“I think it’s a matter of executing the game plan, knowing who you’re guarding, understanding the flow of the game, communication. I’m sure when we watch the film it will be all of the above, to your question.”Nuggets coach Michael Malone said when asked what his team can do to slow the Jazz’s three-point shooting barrage.
Utah was once again led by Donovan Mitchell who finished with 30 points on 6-for-7 shooting from deep. Denver was led by Nikola Jokić and Michael Porter Jr. who each finished with 28 points. The only other Nuggets who scored in double figures were Jamal Murray (14) and Monte Morris (10).
The teams are off today before Game 3 on Friday at 2 p.m. (TNT, Altitude).
- Porter found little solace in his 28-point effort since it came in a loss.
- The Denver Post’s Mark Kiszla wrote that the Nuggets need to bench Paul Millsap and start Jerami Grant if they want to avoid a first-round upset.
- Nuggets-Jazz results and schedule
|Game 1||Denver 135, Utah 125, OT||Box Score|
|Game 2||Utah 124, Denver 105||Box score|
|Fri., Aug. 21||2 p.m.||TNT, Altitude|
|Sun., Aug. 23||7 p.m.||TNT, Altitude|
|Tue., Aug. 25||TBD||TBD, Altitude|
|*Thur., Aug. 27||TBD||TBD, Altitude|
|Sat., Aug. 29||TBD||TBD, Altitude|
The Rockies returned home Wednesday, but the results stayed the same as the Astros beat Colorado for the third day in a row, this time by a final score of 13-6.
Colorado has now lost eight of its past 10 games and third baseman Nolan Arenado saw his average fall to .225 after going 0-for-3 Wednesday.
- Colorado and Houston finish their four-game, home-and-home series this afternoon (1:10 p.m., AT&T Sports Net) at Coors Field as Germán Márquez (2-3, 2.25 ERA) will try to end the Rockies skid against Houston’s Cristian Javier (2-1, 2.91 ERA).
- In other news Wednesday the Rockies placed outfielder David Dahl on the 10-day IL due to lower back soreness. To take his place on the roster Colorado recalled top prospect Brendan Rodgers. Rodgers didn’t start, but did come on late and went 1-for-2 and drove in a pair of runs.
My thoughts: The Rockies need to play Rodgers as much as possible. Put him at second base in place of Ryan McMahon who’s hitting .208 and see what he can do. The season is quickly slipping away, so see if Rodgers can provide a spark. It also would allow the club a chance to see how good Rodgers can be at in the majors.
Tight end Jake Butt spoke to the media yesterday and talked about how his recovery from his third ACL tear has gone. Among other things he spoke about how he debated coming back at times during his recovery, but he’s now motivated to earn a spot on the Broncos roster.
- I wrote yesterday how in the battle for the starting center job Austin Schlottmann has gotten the bulk of the work with the first time. Well, yesterday Schlottmann did start with the first team, but rookie Lloyd Cushenberry got his first chance working with the No. 1 offense later in practice.
- TheDNVR’s Zac Stevens wrote about how rookies other than Jerry Jeudy and K.J. Hamler are starting to step up.
- Head coach Vic Fangio has been happy with what he’s seen from rookie linebacker Justin Strnad.
Around the globe
Forbes.com released its list of the high-paid female athletes for 2020, amazing the top nine women on the list are all tennis players. Surprisingly, at least to me, Serena Williams checked in at No. 2 on the list behind Naomi Osaka.
The only non-tennis player in the Top 10, at No. 10 is soccer’s Alex Morgan.